Real Life doesn't have spell check

1.10.2007

Cocoa Therapy Part III

Yesterday I did not have a brave day – I was off my game, I recovered some but it’s hard. I found myself not myself – like I was bystander, observing, contemplating, taking in what was around me and processing it. The trigger was a 30 second diatribe by someone above my pay grade who spoke down to me in front of someone above their pay grade. I didn’t feel I deserved this especially not in front those who could have some impact on my future. I was disappointed – that’s the right word. I felt let down by someone I respected by behavior that was uncalled for. Knowing that person as I do, I know follow up comments were made about me to those around b/c that is their M/O. Again, disappointing – I guess I expected better behavior or a sense of decorum. A recognition that a verbal tear down should have been private, not recreation.

The tirade felt overcooked for the situation: I wasn’t at my desk to answer my phone immediately.

I know, I know – this is not a utopia of thoughtful, mature people.
If dark chocolate was free –there is a utopia I can get behind… yeah.

I sit, I sip, I ponder semi-deeply
I think, I wonder, I admire rather sleeply
I retract and detract, collect thoughts professionally

And reminded Higher Paid Grade, “You know... sometimes,... I have to pee”


6 Thoughts Shared:

  • Get a bag fitted!
    x

    By Blogger Old Man Rich, at 3:48 AM, January 11, 2007  

  • some people are very clueless...or they have their own ego issues. Regardless, condescension is never appropriate in the work place

    By Blogger mal, at 3:34 PM, January 11, 2007  

  • I'm so sorry for you. How lame can they get? And it got passed around after? Not cool.

    Now I'm curious. Do you think it's inappropriate to say, "Do you think we could talk about this in private?" to an upper-pay-grade person? I would think that it's professional, unassailable - morally speaking - and a subtle lesson to the attacker.

    But "You know - sometimes I have to pee" is just as good. Did you show any incredulity at the weak subject matter causing the hullaballoo? Kind of a nonverbal "I can't believe you're fussing about this"?

    Geez.

    Cerise

    By Blogger Cerise, at 4:33 PM, January 11, 2007  

  • This morning HPG called to check in and I brought up the "conversation", and communicated that if I am not readily available I may be doing something for someone else.
    Me "sometime, HPG, I just have to pee"HPG "Oh, yeah, well..."
    then HPG changed the subject

    By Blogger M is for..., at 4:54 PM, January 11, 2007  

  • God. What a lameass. You're dealing with a severe weakling, obviously.

    Cerise

    By Blogger Cerise, at 2:26 PM, January 12, 2007  

  • What a fabulous comeback! I love it. Like, Hi, You're Being A Jerk. Let Me Please Point This Out By Stating The Obvious In A Humble Manner That Subtly Magnifies What A Jerk You Are.

    Brilliant. Kudos.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 AM, April 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home